I probably anticipated Manny Pacquiao's winning the boxing match against Bradley that's why I cooked pancit canton for lunch! "wink" Anyway, Manny won, and my pancit canton on the table was gone in a flash! I posted the picture in my FB account and it got a lot of thumbs up even before I posted this.
We all know that there are several versions of this dish. Of Chinese origin, Pancit Canton has become a Filipino dish that is usually served during birthdays and other celebrations. The long noodles signify long life, according to Filipino beliefs.
When cooking this, I prefer to cook it similar to the traditional Chinese style with thick sauce.
Pancit Canton with Oyster Sauce
- 1/2 kilo or 500 gms. Pancit canton noodles
- 1/4 kilo prawns
- 1/4 kilo chicken strips
- 1/4 kilo pork strips or menudo cut
- 2 pieces chorizo del bilbao cut diagonally
- 1/4 kilo chicken gizzard, sliced into slivers (I prefer this than chicken liver)
- 2 medium size carrots, cut into strips
- 1/8 kilo Baguio beans, sliced diagonally
- 1 package squid balls, halved
- 1 thin bunch of lettuce leaves (in place of cabbage which I didn't have on stock)
- 2 cups shrimp broth
- 4 Tbsp Oyster sauce
- 2 Tbsp Hoisin sauce
- 3 Tbsp soy sauce
- salt, pepper
- 4 Tbsp cornstarch dissolved in 1/2 cup water (to thicken the sauce)
- Remove shells and heads of prawns. Put in a pan with 2 cups water and boil. After boiling them, crush and reserve the shrimp broth.
- Make the sauce. Heat oil in a wok or pan. Saute garlic until brown then add onions.
- Add the chorizo bilbao slices. Continue sauteing.
- Put the pork, chicken gizzard, then the carrots and Baguio beans. Once pork meat is tender, add the chicken strips, then the squid balls and prawns. Add the seasonings and mix together.
- Add the shrimp broth. Let boil. Add the lettuce leaves.
- Mix in the cornstarch mixture to thicken the sauce. Sprinkle the spring onions.
- Once sauce is done, set aside.
- Dip the noodles in boiling water, making sure it does not become soggy. Strain.
- Heat oil in pan. Saute garlic. Put the noodles and toss lightly.
- Transfer noodles in a serving platter.
- Pour the sauce. Top with the prawns, meat and veggies.
- Squeeze lemon or calamansi over the sauce.
- Serve with ice-cold drinks.
Done! Another delicious dish for everybody!
Thanks for joining me. Would appreciate if you try it, too! Your comments. feedback and suggestions are welcome. Follow me for more! Until next time! <3 -jewel