TOCHONG BANGUS (MILKFISH in BLACK BEANS and SOY CAKE)
Looks delish, right?
- 1 large bangus (milkfish), cleaned, scaled and sliced diagonally. (around 5 slices)
- 1 small can black beans (tausi)
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 large ginger, cut into strips
- 1 onion, quartered
- 3 tomatoes, quartered
- 4-5 pieces banana peppers
- 1 bunch kangkong (or water spinach)
- 4 pieces red chilies or labuyo (optional)
- 1 Tbsp annato powder (optional)
- salt, ground pepper, fish sauce, soy sauce
How to make your own tahure:
- Put 1 tofu or tokwa in a bowl.
- Put 2 Tbsp vinegar, 1/2 tsp fish sauce, 1Tbsp soy sauce, 1 tsp ground pepper, 1 tsp ginger powder (optional)
- Combine the ingredients and pour over tofu. Mash the tofu with the back of spoon.
- Keep mashing until the tofu has blended with the ingredients and has the appearance of crumbs. Done! Your homemade tahure. Set aside.
- Home-made tahure
Okay, now let's go to Tochong Bangus
How to cook:
- Heat oil pan and fry the bangus.
- Set aside.
- Using the same pan, put the garlic and saute until brown.
- Add ginger and continue sauteing until crisp, then add in onions.
- Stir-in tomatoes.
- Add eggplants.
- Next, the black beans. Sprinkle annato powder. Mix well.
- Pour tahure and mix with the other ingredients.
- Add chopped red chilies.
- Add in banana peppers.
- Put kangkong and mix well the ingredients.
- Continue stirring. Season to taste.
- Add the fried bangus and cover with the sauce. Or, put bangus in a serving platter and top with sauce.
- You may add other vegetables.
- Annato powder is optional and was used to give the dish color.
Another uniquely delicious dish! Try it! For more adventures in the kitchen and beyond, please follow my blog. You may also follow me at Instagram and Twitter!
Until next time! <3 jewel