I'd Rather Eat than Go hungry and Shop 'til My Last Money! Bangkok, the 2nd Time Around

If there is one place I enjoy going back to, it's Bangkok, Thailand.

The first time we visited Bangkok,Thailand was in 2009. We were mesmerized with the beauty of the palaces. We toured the different palaces and jewelry shops. The climate is the same here in the Philippines, so the usual travel outfits of fashionable jackets and boots were a no-no! Light-colored cotton blouses and slippers were our ootds (outfit for the day.)

Anyway, my daughter,Camille,(the more seasoned traveller) and I, do some research before we go to a certain place. Unlike other tourists who sign up with travel agencies to join day tours, we make our own itinerary! It's more fun!

This second time to go to Bangkok, I arrived in Suvarnabhumi International Airport, 7 hours ahead of Camille. It meant I had to go to the hotel alone. So, what I did before flying in was to google where to take a cab from the airport, the usual meter rate, the distance from the airport to the hotel and the minutes it would take to get there. Yes, I wanted to make sure I will not be overcharged. I also printed out a map,and saved a photo of this in my Iphone, just in case. That's the reason why I love google so much!



I made sure the taxi was metered. I paid 300 baht (on the meter) plus 50 baht for the airport charge, for a total of 350 baht. The taxi driver asked me if we will use the highway with a 75baht toll fee, and I said "no!" He said, "oh, slow way" I took us actually, around 10 minutes to understand each other har har har. Highway or slow way, we still reached the hotel without me having to pay an additional 75 baht. :)

Camille chose the Baiyoke Suite Hotel, at because it was the closest to the shopping area. At the reception, I was asked if I preferred a non-smoking or smoking room, of course I chose the latter. The suite was big, and the smoking room was adjacent to the bedroom. Very good!


Being alone and with nothing to do yet, I decided to avail of the wi-fi good for 1 day at 400 baht, instead of 200 baht for just 1 hour. Yes, wi-fi was not free :(

I made coffee for myself and and took selfie shots har har har.





 I felt tired and sleepy but was afraid to close my eyes (Lol!)  Nevertheless, I probably fell asleep. I was later on awakened by a sound from my phone, an FB notification that Camille was at Suvarnabhumi Airport already. Yey!

Anyway, our purpose in going back to Bangkok this time was to check out the shopping malls,compare prices, savor Thai food, and of course, get that much-needed break. Camille took the airport link which was available already, but was still closed when I arrived at 2 am. When she arrived, she just took a shower, ate with gusto the super moist Banana cake with walnuts that I baked and brought for her, and off we went!

When we went out the lobby of the hotel, Lo and behold! Pratunam Market!The shopping haven! We went around but since it was just outside the hotel and was a bit humid, we decided to go the malls first where it's cooler. Besides, if we shopped right away, we'd have a hard time walking with heavy stuff already,

Platinum Fashion Mall was a few meters of walking from the hotel. Nice nice nice! We also passed by other shops and malls.













Great pick for me which was hard to find was the Chanel Perfume Iphone case which was sold only at one shop selling branded items.Camille bought a clear and a black cases for her Iphone 5.What else? The shoes, sandals,slippers! Finally, they have my size! Bought several pairs! When these items reach Greenhills, they would be more pricey! So, when you're here, shop until you drop and to your last money! Har har har!





Shops shops everywhere! Prices in the malls were higher, of course, by 150-250 baht but you can buy 1 piece each. Outside, prices were lower but you have to buy several pieces to  get a wholesale price.

After going around the 3 adjacent malls, our tummies grumbled of hunger. We wanted to eat authentic Thai food first, as with our first Thailand trip, restos outside the malls are more authentic! So, for the duration of our Bangkok trip, we only ate at the mall twice. Street food and Restos along the road have food that taste better. You just have to choose where to eat. With so many street food hawkers, stalls and restaurants, you just have to take your pick and choose WHERE TO EAT!Oh, yes! I'D RATHER EAT THAN GO HUNGRY! When you're in another country, another culture, expect the unexpected. You have to be experimental, like trying out the country's exotic food.

As with other tourist destinations, Starbucks, 7-11, KFC and other American stores abound. We tried the egg custard at KFC. Yummy!



and the Green Machang Tea at Black Canyon




 We were not able to take pictures of the other food that we ate because we were too hungry and the food smelled and tasted so good!

It's been said that Thai chefs are so in demand. I agree why.



Spicy Tom Yum or Tom Yam








The streetfood :



Prawns and squid on sticks!



These are sticky rice with egg custard and bananas.




Street Bars at Night!

Aside from the Night Market where shoppers can still buy (if your body and feet will still permit lol!), there are also Street Bars where you can relax and unwind.






I only brought with me my shoulder bag and RL duffle bag, We had to buy a lightweight "bayong style" bag to put the stuff we bought lol!

Anyway, and what would a Bangkok, Thailand visit be without a ride in a "Tuktuk." When riding the "tuktuk" you MUST haggle with the driver the amount that you will pay. I overheard an American tourist telling a "tuktuk" driver that she paid 100 baht from the hotel to the mall, so why charge her 300 baht from the mall going back to the hotel?


That is just an incident common to tourists anywhere in the world. It doesn't stop us from travelling again. :)

Home in the Philippines now! Hoping to go back again...soon! "wink"

-jewel

Comments

Popular Posts