YEMA CAKE - Sinfully Yummy!

I have been hearing a lot about Yema Cake. It is actually trending among the local cakes here in the Philippines. Filipinos have been raving about it. So, what is a Yema Cake? I grew up knowing yema as a candy. A very sweet  triangular-shaped candy wrapped in colored cellophane. But a Yema Cake?

As I have mentioned earlier, Yema cake has been a topic among Pinoy food lovers. Rodillas, a restaurant in the province of Quezon, was the first to market this goody. I did not pay attention to it at first. I'm not really a sweet-toothed person. I became curious, however, when the trending did not stop.

I searched the internet and found different recipes. Some called for sponge cakes, others, chiffon. I searched again for tested recipes that could hold a light custard frosting or the yema, just like a fondant. I tried making it with a Sponge cake and another one with Chiffon cake. I got the Chiffon cake recipe from www.make-fabulous-cakes.com.  I found a recipe for Yema frosting and filling at Pinoy Hapag Kainan and got ideas from my groupmates at BHM and mixed them.

And the baking BEGAN!                            

                                                                 YEMA CAKE



To make a Yema Cake, you will need a base cake to frost and fill. You may use any cake you want. You may even use a pre-mix. Then the Yema frosting and filling.For my Yema cake, I used a chiffon cake. I got the recipe from Make Fabulous Cakes (thanks, Make Fabulous Cakes!) Here's the recipe:

CHIFFON CAKE RECIPE

INGREDIENTS
2 1/4 cups (281 g) cake flour
1 1/4 cups (250 g) granulated sugar
1 1/2 tbsp. (22.5 g)baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt (2 g)
8 egg yolks
3/4 cup (180 ml) orange juice 
3/4 cup (180 ml) oil
8 egg whites
1 tsp. (5 g) cream of tartar

Note: I was not able to take all pictures of the steps. ;)

METHOD
  • Preheat oven to 325°F. Prepare two 9” pans or one 12” cake pan or one 9”x 13” sheet pan by lining with parchment or wax paper.
  • Sift cake flour in a bowl and add 1 cup of the sugar, baking powder and salt. Set aside
  • Mix together the orange juice, oil and egg yolks.
  • Make a well in the dry mixture and pour in the juice mixture. Mix together for about 2-3 minutes with an electric mixer until light and fluffy.
  • In another bowl, whisk egg whites until frothy. Add in cream of tartar. Slowly add the remaining 1/2 cup of sugar. Beat the egg whites until stiff peaks have formed.
  • Gently fold the egg whites in to the batter.
  • Pour batter in prepared cake pans and bake for approx. 45 minutes.
  • The cake is ready when an inserted wooden skewer or cake tester comes out clean or when cake springs back when lightly pressed with a finger.
  • Loosen the sides with a knife or metal spatula and invert to a metal rack almost immediately. Invert again to another rack to prevent the cake from splitting.









Now with the cake ready, slice the cake horizontally to be able to put the filling.

YEMA FROSTING:

I am updating this to include more options in making the Yema frosting and filling. Thanks to my BHM group!

Ingredients:

Option 1:
  • 1 big can evaporated milk
  • 1 can condensed milk
  • 6 egg yolks
Option 2:
  • 4 egg yolks
  • 1 big can evaporated milk
  • 1 can condensed milk
  • 4 Tbsp butter
  • 2 Tbsp cornstarch
Method:
  • Combine the ingredients in a pan with a thick bottom.
  • Cook them in low fire while continuously stirring until it thickens.

PUTTING TOGETHER:
  • Once the cake has cooled, slice the cake horizontally. (OR, bake the cake batter n 2 pans)


  • Spread part of Yema frosting on the bottom half of the sliced cake.

  • Put the upper cake and cover the 2 layers with the Yema frosting.
  • Spread or sprinkle grated cheese on top. 
  • Serve with ice-cold drinks. Done!
My Couture Yema Cake. I used 8" round pan here. 2 layers :)



Note: I am always looking for other recipes. You may also try this in making the Yema filling:
  • 10 egg yolks
  • 1 can condensed milk
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract (or lemon extract)
  • 1/4 cup butter.
Combine them in a double boiler and cook until you get the desired thickness.

Hope you like this! Let me know and I'll appreciate your feedback. 

Until next time! <3 - jewel 



Comments

Popular Posts