Ginataang Labong with Shrimps and Crab Sticks
Ginataang Labong itself is a savory dish, but adding shrimps and crab sticks to it makes it more delicious. I cook it with chili peppers to make it spicy. I've been craving for this dish but I keep forgetting to look for it when we're out. I chanced upon it when we did our grocery shopping at SM Clark.
What is Labong? Labong or Bamboo shoots are the edible sprouts of many bamboo species.
They are used in numerous Asian dishes and broths, and are available fresh, dried or canned. (Wikipedia)
Here it is piping hot! "wink"
GINATAANG LABONG with SHRIMPS and CRAB STICKS
- 1/2 kilo Labong (bamboo shoots)
- 4 cups gata (coconut milk)
- 1/4 kilo shrimps
- 2 pieces crab sticks (already in stock in our freezer)
- 1 bunch saluyot (jute leaves)
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 medium-sized onion, quartered
- fresh ginger, cut into strips
- 2 pieces siling haba (banana peppers), sliced diagonally and thinly
- 4 pieces red hot chili peppers, chopped
- 2 tsps fish sauce
- salt, pepper, MSG
How to cook:
- Wash and clean labong (bamboo shoots).
- Boil in water for 30 minutes or until tender. Strain.
- Set aside.
- Heat oil in pan. Fry crab sticks for about 3 minutes. Set aside.
- Fry shrimps until the color becomes reddish or pinkish. Set aside.
- Saute garlic. Add ginger and stir fry.
- Add the onions and continue sauteing.
- Pour the coconut milk, then add the boiled labong or bamboo shoots.
- Stir in the banana peppers and red chilies. Season to taste.
- Add in the shrimps and crab sticks, then the saluyot or jute leaves.
- Mix well.
- Turn off heat and transfer to a serving dish.
- Best served with rice and ice-cold drinks as this is really spicy!
Try this, too! You'll like it! Would appreciate if you cook this and share!
Thanks again for dropping by! Till next time! <3 - jewel
You may also follow me at Pinterest, Instagram, Twitter and Facebook. For more recipes, simply scroll down.