September 30, 2014
I really don't know why but I keep craving for a Spinach quiche. I've made it 3 times this week! I love the dish, and the fact that it's a veggie dish makes me feel less guily eating. hahaha! Anyway, I guess not everyone is familiar with "quiche." Quiche is known to be a French dish, but actually originated from Germany. The word quiche means "cake" which comes from the German word "kuchen."
Anyway, there's something about the appearance of the dish that makes me crave for more. There are different variations in making this dish. It can be baked with a crust, or, it can be crustless, like the one I am sharing with you. This is a simple Spinach quiche, but the taste is so delicious!. You may add feta cheese, cheddar cheese, chopped mushrooms, crumbled bacon, and ham if you want to.
- 2 bunches of fresh Spinach leaves, washed, drained and chopped. (You may use the frozen one. Just thaw, then squeeze to remove liquid)
- 5 eggs
- 1 cup grated cheese
- salt and pepper
- Toppings: (optional): 2 beaten eggs mixed with 1 big can evaporated milk, seasoned with ground pepper.
- Heat oil in pan. (I added 1 Tbsp butter)
- Saute garlic, then onion.
- Stir in the spinach.
- Add a pinch of salt and a dash of pepper.
- Mix well.
- Once the liquid from the spinach has evaporated, turn off heat.
- Set aside.
- In a bowl, break 5 eggs. Whisk.
- Add just enough salt and pepper.
- Mix in the grated cheese.
- Add the spinach.
- Slightly grease a pyrex or any baking pan.
- Pour the spinach mixture. Spread evenly. (You may now bake this as is)
- Before baking, I added and poured the egg and milk toppings.
- Bake for 30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Cool and let it set.
- Cut or slice like a cake. Serve!
You may also top this with bechamel sauce before baking. If you can't find spinach in the supermarket, try using "kangkong" which is readily available in the market.
Hope you try this,too! Oh, and don't forget to comment your feedback.
For more adventures in the kitchen and beyond, just follow my blog!
Until next time! <3 - jewel