Leche Suman

Leche Suman. What exactly is Leche Suman. Even to Filipinos, this is something new. Everyone is familiar with leche flan and suman, separately. Leche Suman is both. A combination of leche flan (custard) and Suman, a native Filipino delicacy made of glutinous rice and coconut milk.

I consider this an evolution of the native delicacy. Trending nowadays are the Puto flan or leche puto (I will blog it, too!), Leche Pudding, Putchinta, Yema Cake and a lot more. I first got to know about Leche Suman from our BHM group in a Social media. It looked so good that I know I have to share it with you! I followed the recipe and made some tweaks.

Note: I am updating the recipe and adding more water when you cook the malagkit to make sure that even if you store the leche suman in the refrigerator, the sticky rice will remain soft.


LECHE SUMAN

Never mind the bubbles, it tastes soooooo gooood!!!

Ingredients:
  • 1/4 kilo malagkit (glutinous rice)
  • 1 big can of condensed milk
  • 1 Tbsp vanilla extract
  • 4 whole eggs (the original recipe called for 4 egg yolks)
  • 2 Tbsps of sugar per tin or llanera. (the original recipe called for 1 Tbsp of sugar per llanera. I used 2x 6" baking pans plus 1 loaf pan)
  • 350 ml  or a bit more water for cooking the glutinous rice
  • This recipe yields 3 llaneras or tins. I used my baking tins and a loaf pan. The leche suman in the loaf pan was thinner because the batter was not enough to fill it anymore (lol!)
How to cook:
















  • Cook the malagkit or glutinous rice. Do not overcook, otherwise, it will harden.
  • Set aside to cool.
  • Prepare the flan batter. 
  • In a bowl or sauce pan, break and put the eggs. Whisk slowly until smooth.
  • Strain to remove lumps.
  • Add the condensed milk. Stir to incorporate well.
  • For flavoring, add vanilla extract.
  • Add the pre-boiled glutinous or malagkit rice to the flan batter. Mix well.
  • Pour the flan batter to the tins with caramelized sugar.
  • Cover each tin with aluminum foil.
  • Put water in the steamer. Wait for the water to boil before putting the tins or llaneras.
  • Steam for 45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted to the flan comes out clean.
  • Done! :)

How to caramelize the sugar:
  • In each llanera or tin that you will use, put at least 2 Tbsps of sugar.
  • Caramelize per tin separately.
  • Heat the tin with the sugar over low heat. Stir using a spoon. 
  • Make sure the sugar is spread evenly in the tin by making a circular motion while spreading the sugar.
  • Keep a a close watch to ensure that the sugar will not be burnt or overcooked.
  • Once the sugar has caramelized and liquefied, remove the tin from the heat.
  • Using a pot holder, move the tin around to spread the caramelized sugar.
  • Do the same to the 2 remaining tins.
  • Set aside to cool for about 4 minutes before adding the flan batter, This is to ensure that the caramel has set.
 Notes: 
  • If you want more, just double the recipe. 
  • You may also steam the flan batter first for a few minutes before adding the malagkit rice.
  • I used whole eggs instead of just the egg yolks because I find it more creamy.
  • You may opt to put lihiya and pandan while cooking the malagkit rice.
There! Except for some bubbles on the caramel, I consider my first attempt at Leche Suman, almost perfect! Creamy and yummy! 

Try it, too! You'll love it! Then, post the pictures in the comment section and give me your feedback. I'll appreciate it!
I was able to buy "llaneras" yehey! I also received orders for these. Here are the pictures:



Happy cooking and thank for dropping by! 

Until next time! For more adventures in my kitchen and beyond, please follow my blog. -  <3 jewel

Comments

Popular Posts