TINUMOK

I was thinking of what dish to post for our "Guess the Dish Segment" of my Kawaling Pilipino group. I was the host and I needed a dish that would be hard to guess. It will give the segment more fun, as no clues will be given except for the ingredients. Then I thought of this dish.

Tinumok is a Bicolano dish. This is similar to Pinangat and laing. It is a shrimp mixture, wrapped in gabi or taro leaves, then cooked in coconut milk. Variations can be made. You may use chicken or pork instead of shrimp, or mix them. For my tinumok, I used shrimps and chicken breast fillet. Of course, it is spicy! "wink"

TINUMOK



This is how I do it ;)

Ingredients:

  • 1/4 kilo shrimps, chopped
  • 1/4 kilo chicken breast fillet, chopped
  • 1/2 kilo young coconut or buko meat
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 1 ginger, grated
  • 6-7 pieces red chilies, chopped (you may add or lessen, depending on how spicy you want it to be)
  • 10 pieces of gabi or taro leaves, washed and drained
  • 3-4 cups coconut milk
  • 1/4 cup alamang or shrimp paste (optional. I did not put alamang because my stomach grumbles when I use it)
  • fish sauce (according to our preference)
  • salt and pepper



How to cook:
  • Prepare the ingredients, it will be easier to cook once your ingredients are ready and in place.
  • In one bowl, put the chopped shrimps. Mix in half of the onions and ginger. Combine well.



  • In another bowl, put the chopped chicken breast fillet and add in the remaining onions and ginger. Mix well.
  • Season with salt and pepper.
  • In a plate, spread one gabi or taro leaf. Scoop a mixture of either the shrimp or chicken.

  • Fold the leaf.
  • Next, fold the 2 ends of the leaf.

  • Do the same with the remaining mixture. I wrapped separately the shrimp mixture and the chicken fillet mixture.
  • Secure with a thread or toothpick. I used toothpicks. Set aside.
  • In a pan, put the coconut milk and let boil.
  • Add about 1 teaspoon fish sauce.


  • Put the red chilies.
  • Once the coconut milk boils, add the wrapped taro leaves mixture.

  • Wait until the leaves color has darkened and the coconut milk has thickened.

  • Check taste and adjust seasonings. You will notice that the taro or gabi leaves' color darkened. 
  • Turn off heat.
  • Take out the wrapped mixture.
  • Transfer to a serving platter or bowl.
  • Pour the coconut milk on the cooked tinumok.
  • Done!


Mmmmmm....it does not only smell good, it tastes soooooo good! Creamy, spicy and delicious! Very easy wasn't it?!

Hope you try this at home and let me know your feedback by giving your comments below.

Notes: 1)You may serve this without the coconut milk sauce.
           2) Do not forget to remove the toothpicks or thread before eating :D

Thanks for joining me! For more adventures in the kitchen and beyond, please follow my blog.

Until next time! <3 -jewel





Comments

Popular Posts